Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Back From The Movies.....

Well, let me start this off by saying that I have see all 4 of the previous Harry Potter Movies without reading the books. My oldest son used to go for his birthday, since it was in November when all the other movies came out. For this movie, The Order Of The Phoenix, I got the brilliant idea of "preparing" for it. While meandering around my favorite consignment shop last summer I found the book on tape and a light bulb went off! I have a tape player.....the kids and I could listen while in the car on our way to doctors appointments.....baseball games.....soccer games. Now, we started to listen and it was so good that we wanted to listen in the house, but being so technologically advanced (heheheheh) we did not have a tape player. Yet again, I found myself at a thrift store this time and for 6.95 I acquired a perfectly working tape player/ karaoke machine (came with a mic and the echo effect). Now, we started to listen every night after dinner with the lights dimmed low. It was an amazing story, but I still wasn't satisfied....I had to read the book.....so I get the book and stay up till who knows what time ever night reading....I read in the bathtub, in the bathroom (or as my best friend and I call it....."the office"). FYI: "the office" is usually where I make my phone calls from as there is guaranteed privacy via the bathroom door lock.
Okay, back to the story. It was such a good story that I could not stop reading and when I finished that one I cried and then realized that I also had the next book, The Half Blood Prince, in my possession and proceeded to read that one in one weekend (maybe a little more). Finally....all I had to do was wait! Wait for the movie to come out and I just knew it was going to be GREAT! Now I know that can't put EVERYTHING from the book into the movie, I guess I just hoped that there would be more information into it. I wonder if I hadn't read the book would the movie been better?
Overall the movie was entertaining, but if you have read the books and fallen in love with the series it was kind of like going to dinner and only getting an appetizer and side dishes with no dessert. The meat of the characters was gone, in my opinion, and the relationships throughout the story were not connected as in the book, which changes the whole feel of each character. I just wish the movie would have been a little deeper. I would give it a 7/10 wands.

I encourage all of you to read the books because you have no idea what you are missing! Well, I have to get back to real life a go shopping for groceries! See you next time and have a great day/night!

4 comments:

Eric said...

I think that I will have to have only appetizers as I cannot stand to read something fictional. Appetizers appeal to me more anyway.

Mary@notbefore7 said...

Absolutely agree! I have felt that way with all of the movies.

You know I just love those books!

Mary@notbefore7 said...

Thanks for coming by last night so E could bring my stuff. Love the alyal idea!

Lisa said...

I'm not much into Harry Potter (ducks the tomatoes), but the other night I stayed up until 6:30 in the morning finishing the 4th book in the Outlander series and I got in serious trouble when I went up stairs and my husbands alarm went off as I was trying to sneak into bed. I got grounded from reading for a week! Thank goodness he goes to work all day :)